Re: Languages supported by UTF8 and UTF16

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 17:09:55 CDT

    Richard Wordingham <richard dot wordingham at ntlworld dot com> wrote:

    >> I'm afraid the list is at risk of falling into a hole debating this
    >> "how many languages on the head of a pin" question, when the real
    >> underlying question may be completely different.
    >
    > Indeed! For example, does Unicode support the Ewellic script? (The
    > code assignments for its characters are not part of the standard, but
    > they have been legitimately assigned by the Conlang Registry, and
    > respect for its assignments is purely voluntary.)

    Ah. Depends on what you mean by "support." Either (a) "support" does
    not include the Private Use Area, in which case Ewellic and Klingon and
    Tengwar and Serivelna and the rest are not supported, or (b) "support"
    does include the PUA, in which case any user-definable script or set of
    symbols is supported, perhaps up to a limit of 137,468 encodable
    characters.

    Certain fonts and applications might support some PUA assignments,
    especially those that are left-to-right and have simple rendering
    behavior, better than others. But that is not the same question as
    whether Unicode "supports" them.

    (Remember, it's the "ConScript Unicode Registry.")

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California