Re: Languages supported by UTF8 and UTF16

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 11:15:56 CDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > Support of a language/script only with PUA means that this language/
    > script is NOT supported by Unicode itself, but only by the authors of
    > the private agreement. Unicode provides no facility for those
    > languages/script other than just allowing them to be embedded in
    > documents containing other supported languages/scripts.
    >
    > So, Klingon, Tengwar or Ewellic are (still) NOT supported by Unicode
    > or one of its UTFs because they these scripts currently have no
    > standard codepoint assignment.

    I don't really want to fight to the death over this. Most people,
    including me and obviously Philippe, would interpret the statement that
    a given script is "supported by Unicode" to mean that its characters are
    officially and publicly encoded. However, there is *arguably* a
    secondary definition that because Unicode includes a Private Use Area,
    it implicitly "supports" the private encoding of any script that fits
    within the PUA. This is not true of most other character encodings.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California