"CE" mark

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 17:51:33 CDT

    This is a forwarded message, from a different list, but perhaps of
    interest for Unicode: Has this character ever been considered for
    uncoding?

    From: António MARTINS-Tuválkin <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt>
    To: FotW-ml <flags@yahoogroups.com>
    Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 5:00:27 PM
    Subject: [Flags] European Union: EC Flag in 1985

    On Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:14 am, Nathan Lamm <...@yahoo.com> wrote:

    <...>
    > That "CE" symbol is in common use on electrical devices, even in
    > the US. I doubt the two are connected.

    This symbol is in current use as a compliance mark for some EU trade
    directives, and as such interpreted to mean "conformité européene"; at
    < http://www.ce-mark.com/cedoc.html > four directives are listed:

    - Machinery directive
    - Medical Device directive
    - Electromagnetic Compatibility
    - Low Voltage directive
    - Liability for Defective Products

    this last one from the interesting Wikipedia article on the "CE" mark,
    at < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark >.

    However there is evidence that it was previously used as an all-purpose
    symbol for the (then known as) European Community. (At least *I* remember
    such usage; am I the only one?)

    At < http://www.artlebedev.com/mandership/77/ >, a witty article suggests
    that the creator of the "CE" mark was Arthur Eisenmenger, also connected
    with the creation of the EU flag and the (uncredited) author of the euro
    currency sign.

    Official discription

    How to reproduce the CE mark
    http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/faq/ce-mark.htm

    Guide to the Implementation of Directives Based on New Approach and Global
    Approach, chap.7
    http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/newapproach/legislation/guide/document/chap07.pdf

    Use examples in English:

    British lift safety regulations (Statutory Instrument 1997 No. 831)
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1997/97083101.htm

    British toy safety approval marks
    http://www.batr.co.uk/safety/approval_marks.htm

    Irish S.I. No. 198/1992: European Communities (Construction Products)
    Regulations, 1992.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI198Y1992.html

    Facsimiles of certification documents:

    http://www.boser.com.tw/certificated/fcc029/BBS1080S_HS4701_FSP18050PLA(CE).jpg
    http://www.schiedel.si/ce%2520-%2520absker.jpg
    http://www.avita.com.tw/new_Eng/standard-pic/ce.gif
    http://www.swann.com.au/images/ce-811.jpg
    http://www.gpcl.com/certificates/ce.jpg
    http://www.ganz.ro/certificate/CE%2520euro%25206.jpg
    http://www.ampli.com/images/ce-doc.gif
    http://www.unipv.it/webesami/normativa/direttiva%25202001-19-CE%2520-farmacisti.JPG
    http://www.gwr.ch/images/Zertifikat%2520CE%2520-%2520SwissTS%25202003.jpg

    <...>

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Estrada de Benfica, 692-c/v d.ta Não me invejo de quem tem |
    PT-1500-111 LISBOA carros, parelhas e montes |
    +351 934 821 700, +351 217 150 939 só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ a água em todas as fontes |