Re: Languages supported by UTF8 and UTF16

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 03:17:26 CDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>
    Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 5:03 AM
    Subject: Re: Languages supported by UTF8 and UTF16

    > Richard Wordingham <richard dot wordingham at ntlworld dot com> wrote:
    >
    >>> Considering what canonical decomposition means, and that e.g. U+006F
    >>> U+0301 is absolutely identical to U+00F3, that distinction, however
    >>> clear, is meaningless.
    >>
    >> However, they may render differently!

    > I know people hate to hear this phrase, but This Is Not Unicode's
    > Problem.

    I didn't say it was Unicode's problem. It's actually an example where in a
    font taking advantage of the renderer's lay-out capabilities, you can be
    better off with non-precomposed characters. This old font is actually not
    so clever in laying out diacritics, and the result can be a disappointment.

    As a practical question of support, how usefully is Burmese actually
    supported? The encoding is there, at least for the vast majority of the
    everyday Burmese language, but do renderer limitations still stop it from
    being used in widely used text-processing software? I certainly can't use
    the Unicode encoding in a web page yet, and I'm using Windows XP SP 2 and
    Firefox or IE 6.0. I suppose it isn't Unicode's problem if the encoding
    can't yet be used.

    Richard.