Re: Monetary decimal separators

From: eflarup@yahoo.com
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 07:39:54 CDT

    On Wed Sep 14 2005 - 18:11:04, Anto'nio
    Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt) wrote:
    >This including Euro countries, which have kept many
    >older practices through the change over to the new
    >currency unit (mostly unadvertedly) thus creating a
    >strange situation: The same currency unit is used
    with >different typographical conventions.

    I don't consider that strange at all, that is exactly
    what I would expect. When I write US dollar amounts in
    Danish, I use the Danish notation that I use with
    Danish krone amounts - 5.123,45 for instance (with a
    currency name/symbol, of course). I would not expect
    cultural standards such as decimal separators to
    change simply because the currency gets a new name.
    This would only happen if we were to create a new
    locale (eu_EU) and force everybody in the euro zone to
    adopt that.

    Elsebeth