Re: "Unicode encoded" button

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Sep 18 2005 - 17:45:07 CDT

    Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin <antonio at tuvalkin dot web dot pt> wrote:

    > One may want predictable image sizes for things that are not bits of
    > web-advertising, too. If one wants to add to the bottom of one's pages
    > things like "Unicode-encoded", "valid CSS2", "valid XHTML", "hand-made
    > HTML" or "dolphin safe" one wants these buttons to have the same
    > height and width.

    The W3C logos indicating "valid HTML," "valid XHTML," "valid CSS," and
    so forth are generally a standard size of 31 × 88. (W3C has an
    additional conformance logo that is inexplicably 32 × 88.) That seems
    to be a suitable de facto guideline to follow, and many of the privately
    created "dolphin safe" logos more or less conform to it.

    I was not satisfied with the available sizes for the "Unicode Encoded"
    logo, and created a 31 × 88 version of one of the John Hudson-created
    logos for my pages. But it was not a trivial task to make it look
    decent, and I wouldn't recommend this procedure for everyone.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California