Re: French accented letters (was: Re: Monetary decimal separators)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 09:07:27 CDT

    Antoine Leca <Antoine10646 at leca dash marti dot org> wrote:

    >> Partly relevant to this is the perception that in Italian, the
    >> uppercase form of é is E'.
    >
    > I do not believe this is the underlying reason.

    >> This idea exists because the standard Italian keyboard contains
    >> a key for lowercase é but not for uppercase É.
    >
    > That is too much elaborated for me to follow you. Are you actually
    > saying that localizers had a look at the Italian keyboard layout to
    > figure the rules to uppercasing French?

    Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. By saying "partly relevant" I did
    not mean that the French keyboard was influenced by the Italian, or vice
    versa. I meant that in both French and Italian, constraints on either
    typewriter technology or computer keyboard layouts have caused a
    perceived orthographic change in the handling of capital letters with
    accents.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California