Dead keys (was: "Re: Monetary decimal separators")

From: Dominikus Scherkl (lyratelle@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 04:42:54 CDT

    > > But if it had not, Unicode would have probably been created
    > > by encoding also the base characters AFTER the diacritics
    > > instead of before them (the
    >
    > That is true.
    >
    > I remember moving from typewriter to mainframe, where I had
    > to get used
    > to having no deadkey, and having to devise the workaround of using
    > forward slash '/' for acute, backward slash '\' for grave, etc.,
    > AFTER the vowel.

    I remember the old typewriter from my mother, which has a
    grave/acute key that doesn't move the paper ("non-spacing"),
    which made it very easy to type accented letters - but must
    be entered _before_ the base
    letter. I never got used to it, it's too unnatural to enter
    the diacritic first. Still now I use very often use the
    combination "baseletter - (grumble) - backspace - accent -
    baseletter again"

    --
    Dominikus Scherkl
    XPaneon Technologies