Re: identifying greek characters in an old book

From: Raymond Mercier (rm459@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 00:58:50 CST

    As Suzanne says, there are two kai abbreviations. Apart from these the word is also written explicitly at the start of lines 5, 6, perhaps because of a reluctance to start a line with an abbreviation.
    I don't know what heretical tendency lies behind this "authentic" text, but the very last line is one that is now relegated to a critical apparatus in the footnotes, as in the edition I have in front of me (published by British & Foreign Bible Society). This, translated as "for thine is the kingdom ... ", is even now recited in protestant (but not Catholic) usage, in spite of the recognition that it is not part of the genuine Greek text. I really have no knowledge of how or when it came to be inserted.

    Raymond