Re: identifying greek characters in an old book

From: suzanne mccarthy (suzmccarth@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 12:46:27 CST

    Ask someone who knows the history of the Book of Common Prayer. Both versions of the Lord's Prayer occur there, with the "Thine is the kingdom..." and without, in the Morning Prayer and the Litany.

    Raymond, if you look in the critical apparatus - it is probably related to the use of the longer form in the Apostolic Consitutions and Chrysostom. There is also the f13 family of manuscripts that supports this longer form. But not TR - Erasmus was trumped on this - he does not include it but the book of common prayer does.

    Suzanne

    Raymond wrote:

    As Suzanne says, there are two kai abbreviations. Apart from these the word is also written explicitly at the start of lines 5, 6, perhaps because of a reluctance to start a line with an abbreviation.
    I don't know what heretical tendency lies behind this "authentic" text, but the very last line is one that is now relegated to a critical apparatus in the footnotes, as in the edition I have in front of me (published by British & Foreign Bible Society). This, translated as "for thine is the kingdom ... ", is even now recited in protestant (but not Catholic) usage, in spite of the recognition that it is not part of the genuine Greek text. I really have no knowledge of how or when it came to be inserted.