Re: Lao Letter Fo Sung and Lao Letter Fo Tam

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 12:37:22 CST

    Peter Constable wrote:

    >>See also the character chart at
    > http://www.seasite.niu.edu/lao/LaoLanguage/LaoAlphabet/lao_consonants_poster.htm .
    >
    > This chart has some things that look suspicious to me (again, not having
    > studied Lao): I suspect the names for low and high tho might be backwards
    > on that chart.

    They're OK - the vowels are indeed the other way round in Lao. For the sack
    word, Shan also has /o/, like Lao, while Lue and White Thai have /u/ like
    Thai 'thung'. I've no etymological data for the flag word (Thai 'thong'),
    but Lao has both _thong_ and _thung_ (with the low consonant), though the
    latter is more thorougly represented in the Lao-French dictionary at
    http://www.laosoftware.com/ .

    Richard.