Re: LAO LETTER FO SUNG and LAO LETTER FO TAM

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 15:17:03 CST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > From: "Asmus Freytag" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>

    >> Glyphs are indeed not normative...

    > But this is not a definitive argument. Unicode has already changed the
    > appearance of such glyphs so that it effectively changed the underlying
    > character identity. The glyph is then just a hint, but does not define the
    > character identity itself. Once you ignore it, the remaining character
    > identity is its name and its normative properties.
    >
    > But the character properties between two letters of the same script are
    > almost identical (this is the case of the lao letters discussed here). So
    > it only remains the normative character name to identify the character.
    > But Unicode says that this is just an identifier, without much semantic
    > meaning because it is immutable and just an identifier equivalent in
    > meaning as its associated numeric code point.
    >
    > Conclusion: the character identity is very weak. There must exist
    > something else to confirm this identity. If the name is wrong, then there
    > must exist a strong notice, part of the standard that explicitly says
    > that, and explains the expected semantic.

    Actually, the statement 'Based on TIS 620-2529' in the character chart
    reinforces the identity. This currently effectively translates to, 'If
    there are equivalent Lao and Thai characters, their codes differ by 80 (base
    16).' The equivalent characters can be readily confirmed by looking for
    cognates beginning with /f/ in the two langauges - the result backs up the
    glyphs. (In the Tai scripts distinguishing high and low consonants, the
    letters for /f/ are made by modifying the representatives of Indic PHA and
    BA.) It's not difficult to find cognates - it may be argued that Siamese
    and Lao are the same language, and of course Lao does get written in the
    Siamese sub-script - Mor Lam lyrics from Thailand for example.

    The weak identity in the chart is actually that of YO and NYO, but that is
    bolstered by 'subscript NYO'. That is actually weakened by the implied
    relationship of THAI CHARACTER YO YING and LAO LETTER NYO, whereas in fact
    LAO LETTER NYO is related to THAI CHARACTER YO YAK. (LAO LETTER YO seems to
    be a modification of LAO LETTER NYO, but deciding which is the modification
    can be difficult - did Cicero use LATIN LETTER CAPITAL U or LATIN LETTER
    CAPITAL V?)

    I suspect the cognate approach would break down for LAO TONE MAI TI and LAO
    TONE MAI CATAWA - these are recent (dates, anyone?) addition to the system,
    presumably adopted for Lao from Siamese rather than vice versa.

    There is a character property that distinguishes the two fo's - the high v.
    low (v. middle) classification of consonants in most Tai languages and the
    corresponding register differences in Khmer, Mon and Cham. It is
    potentially language-sensitive. However, I can't persuade myself that
    Unicode should record this classification.

    Richard.