Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 17:16:23 CST

    At 01:56 +0300 2005-10-27, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >The proposal might be a bad one, but I think the rationale for
    >rejecting it has not been sufficiently explained. How do the
    >statements about disrupting everything and invalidating existing
    >data follow from
    >established use of A to F as hexadecimal digits?

    There is no earthly reason to consider this disunification.

    >The issue might be important to future discussions, and clarifying
    >the situation could help to prevent proposals that have no chances
    >of getting approved, or at least have them rejected in a manner that
    >better convinces their advocates.

    There are no hard and fast rules that will solve all future
    disunification problems. Believe me; I am king of disunifications. :-)

    >As far as I have understood, the proposal was about adding new
    >characters, for use as hexadecimal digits, and normally with shapes
    >similar to the letters A through F.

    Similar? No. Identical to.

    >And unless I'm missing something, the reason would be semantic disambiguation.

    The ordinary letters A-F are already used for this purpose with no problem.

    >If the (main) reason for rejection was that new characters will not
    >be added to Unicode and ISO 10646 just to make semantic distinction,
    >when no visual difference (normally) exists, then I think it would
    >have been useful to say so.

    We did. We identified these as duplicate characters, that is, as
    characters already encoded.

    >I don't see how the addition of new characters could _invalidate_
    >existing data.

    Oceans of existing data.

    EVERY SINGLE U+xxxx UNICODE REFERENCE.

    Come on, Jukka. You know better than to play Devil's advocate on this one.