Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677

From: Alexej Kryukov (akrioukov@newmail.ru)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 06:25:13 CST

    On Thursday 27 October 2005 05:11, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > Furthermore, the whole concept just isn't thought through.
    >
    > A-F have casepairs: a-f.
    >
    > It doesn't make any sense for hexadecimal digits, if they are
    > really *numbers*, not letters, to have case pairs.

    Hi,

    I am wondering why in this long thread nobody has mentioned the Roman
    digits in U+216*--217*. They look quite similar to
    hexadecimal digits, because they also have case pars and also are
    normally represented with Latin letters. Moreover, I would understand
    if only I, V, X, L, C, D and M were separately encoded, but currently
    all Roman numerals from I to XII (and only these ones), which can
    be composed from the characters listed above, also have separate
    codepoints.

    So I am just wondering, why these characters were encoded? Should
    they be actually used to represent Roman numerals, or it is OK to
    replace them with the corresponding Latin Letters? And how should
    numerals above XII to be composed?

    To my mind, these characters look quite strange, but, if encoding
    them is considered correct, then the hexadecimal digits should be
    encoded for the very same reasons...

    --
    Regards,
    Alexej Kryukov <akrioukov at newmail dot ru>