Re: Roman Numerals (was Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 13:59:25 CST

    From: "Kenneth Whistler" <kenw@sybase.com>
    > The convention of using rulings over strings of Latin letters
    > to indicate higher values should be handled by styles, rather
    > than by individual insertion of combining lines over single characters.

    I know it can be done. But see how complex it can be, when composing for
    example HTML pages.
    For example see this French Wikipédia page about the Roman numeration
    systems:

    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Num%C3%A9ration_romaine
    (see the section 6, named "Extensions classiques")

    The rulings can be drawn and rendered using HTML only, without images, but
    there are lots of CSS tricks to do that, and the page is not accessible. In
    addition the page uses only Latin letters due to the many defects in common
    fonts about Roman numerals (so the LATIN LETTER OPEN O is used as a good
    emulation instead of the turned C which does not exist as such in the Latin
    script).

    And I did not see any working way to render the stretched M variant...

    (Note: all the text on that page is originally not mine, although I tried to
    compose the missing characters using those CSS tricks, so the content may
    still need review).