Re: Superscripts (was Re: Roman Numerals (was Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677))

From: fantasai (fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 10:13:15 CST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > tradeoff to find between ease of composition, good rendering for
    > readers, and reuse of the document for something else (including
    > conversions of formats).

    And I would agree with Jukka Korpela and Jon Hanna that abusing
    markup like that is not the optimal way to manage that balancing
    act. <sup> by itself is obviously easier to compose; it renders
    well for more browsing conditions; and, given an intelligent
    converter, it converts to other formats much more robustly. Note
    that "other formats" includes MS Word, RTF, DocBook, and other
    formats besides plain text.

    ~fantasai