Re: Fw: New IPA Symbol for Labiodental Flap

From: Kent_Spielmann@sil.org
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 11:35:57 CST

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Road,
    Dallas, TX 75236 USA
    Tel: + 1 972 708 7570

    unicode-bounce@unicode.org wrote on 11/06/2005 09:54:40 AM:

    > On 11/5/05, Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> wrote:
    > > > To: lingvoj@yahoogroups.com

    > > SIL shows a glyph that looks like like a tail-less U+01B4; is this
    U+028B?
    > > All my fonts shows U+028B much more like a U+03BD, though.

    This is true in Lucida Unicode for example but not in Arial Unicode MS.

    U+028B LATIN SMALL LETTER V WITH HOOK is used for encoding IPA labiodental
    approximate. The SIL glyph shape conforms to the current standard IPA shape
    for this character. The SIL fonts in question also include a pointed v
    variant of this glyph which can be used in applications that support this
    capability. See the user documentation that comes with either of the most
    recent versions of SIL fonts for more information.

    Font downloads
    Doulos SIL
    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=DoulosSIL_download#915954fd
    Charis SIL
    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=CharisSIL_download#a6c78788

    I would be interested to know if there are any scripts which use U+028B
    LATIN SMALL LETTER V WITH HOOK and the upper case equivalent, U+01B2 LATIN
    CAPITAL LETTER V WITH HOOK this character as an alphabetic character. If
    so:
    Is the pointed version is the preferred shape?

    On the other hand, U+028B and U+01B2, were included in Unicode 1.0 as LATIN
    SMALL LETTER SCRIPT V and LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SCRIPT V. As such, they are
    really font variants and their use, I would expect, would be deprecated
    unless they are used as special symbols in Mathematics or Science. Is this
    so?

    Kent Spielmann

    International Linguistics Department