RE: Origin of the U+nnnn notation

From: Dominikus Scherkl (lyratelle@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 03:54:42 CST

    > I have been unable to hunt down the historical origin of the
    > notation U+nnnn (where nnnn are hexadecimal digits) that we
    > use to refer to characters (and code points).
    > Presumably "U" stands for "UCS" or for "Unicode", but where
    > does the plus sign come from?
    Maybe it was thought of as an offset from the unit (character null)
    like in ETA+5 minutes (expected time of arrival was passed five minutes
    ago - an euphemism for beeing 5 minutes late).

    But that makes me wonder if there was planed something like U-nnnn
    (characters before the unit)...

    --
    Dominikus Scherkl
    XPaneon Technologies