Re: U+nnnn notation and normative identifiers.

From: Erkki Kolehmainen (erkki.kolehmainen@kotus.fi)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 03:49:56 CST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > Why isn't there a project in CLDR to create such supplementary data for
    > translated character names (that won't be identifiers, the only
    > identifiers being the normative 4-to-6-digit hexadecimal code points)?

    This would be a truly major project for all the languages, and each of
    them would require an unprecedented consensus for all the names. In
    Finland, we have translated the names of the Multilingual European
    Subset 2 (MES-2) into Finnish and made the list freely available as a
    recommendation - not a standard - of the Finnish Standards Association
    SFS. We are now starting the process to expand the list, but we are only
    considering the addition of a few hundred character names.

    Sincerely,

    Erkki I. Kolehmainen
    Coordinator, Cultural Diversity Issues in ICT
    Research Institute for the Languages of Finland (RILF)