RE: three questions about alphabet files at Michael Everson site

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 18:09:48 CST

    > I am dutch and I am rather surprised to see that maelström is a mot
    > néerlandais.
    > I always thought it was a scandinavian word.
    >
    > Is the ö supposed to be an o umlaut or an o diaeresis?

    Neither. It's an ö (an independent letter). (Which, by the way, makes
    me very sceptical about the entire tréma versus umlaut discussion.)
    And the word is spelled "malström".

    B.t.w., there is absolutely no confusion between Öland and Åland.
    (Never heard of Oland [which is pronounced quite differently from
    "Åland" and from "Öland"], but maybe that's just me.)

            /k