Re: Exemplar Characters

From: Chris Harvey (chris@languagegeek.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 10:26:49 CST

    Ysgrifennodd Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> ar y 15-11-2005 am
    10:04:
    >> Would this mean that the choice between U+2019 and U+02BC is decided by
    >> the phonetic realisation of the apostrophe?
    >
    > Polynesian languages should all use the modifier letters, for
    > consistency. It's a glottal there.

    Excuse me while I bounce around a bit here.

    Theoretically, perhaps it’s best to always use U+02BC where the apostrophe
    has a phonological role in the orthography. This way, there would be a
    distinction between the phoneme and punctuation (closing quote) in minimal
    pairs.

    E.g. from Mohawk:
    • ne “the”
    • ne’ “that”

    I’ve been considering this question for years, and have, personally,
    tended to go with U+02BC in all cases where the apostrophe is part of an
    orthography. Why not also use the modifier U+02BC in Breton? As there is
    no correspondance between character and pronunciation, then the "glottal"
    aspect of U+02BC could be ignored. U+2019 could be reserved for
    punctuation purposes only.

    On the other hand, it would be much more convenient for a language like
    Mohawk to always use U+2019 for both glottal stops and closing single
    quotes, as U+2019 is far more commonly included in fonts than U+02BC, and
    far more accessible. And if the argument in favour for use of U+2019 in
    Breton is based on convention, then all languages ought to be using U+2019
    even for their glottal stops, as they’ve always been using the ASCII
    quote~end quote.

    Thank-you
    Chris Harvey

    --
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
    ᑭᑕᐢᑭᓇᐤ ᑳᓀᓱᐏᑌᐦᐃᓇᑿᐣ, ᑮᐢᐱᐣ ᐃᔨᐣᑐ ᐱᑭᐢᑵᐏᐣ ᐘᓂᑎᔭᐦᑭ