Re: Exemplar Characters

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@icu-project.org)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 12:48:01 CST

    First, I want to apologize for the tone of my message, it was overly
    strong and pointed: especially the watch comment. However, as far as the
    facts go, I stand by them.

    The Unicode Standard is for the encoding of characters. It is one (a
    very important one!) of the many software globalization standards being
    worked on by the Unicode Consortium.

    There is no intention for CLDR (a project) or LDML (a standard) to ever
    be part of the Unicode Standard, nor did I ever state that. For each of
    the separate standards supported by the consortium, it is stated in
    *black and white* in the Status section that "A Unicode Technical
    Standard (UTS) is an independent specification. Conformance to the
    Unicode Standard does not imply conformance to any UTS.". I have no
    idea where you picked up the contrary notion.

    Jukka also had a nice response on the issue.

    CLDR is not "informal". The project and operation is described on
    http://www.unicode.org/cldr/. The procedures are the joint procedures
    for the Unicode Consortium technical committees, found on
    http://www.unicode.org/consortium/tc-procedures.html.

    ---
    Normally I let a lot of misstatements on this list slide. There are so,
    so many statements like the following:
     >I fully disagree with you about the curly right apostrophe. It is not
    part of the pattern-syntax...
    that are obviously false, when one looks at the actual data:
       http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.1.0/ucd/PropList.txt, search for
    Pattern_Syntax then 2019.
    and looks at the documentation for that property:
       http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr31/
    or bothers to look at the stability policies:
       http://www.unicode.org/standard/stability_policy.html
    Or googled the FAQs:
      site:www.unicode.org/faq/ Pattern Syntax
    (A great many issues on this list would be answered if people searched
    the FAQs more often; if they disagree with what is written there or want
    more information, they always have the opportunity to suggest changes.)
     > it remains that only ISO decides and Unicode executes
    Also false (as is the entire rest of the following paragraph). For 10646
    and Unicode, neither of the responsible organizations simply
    rubber-stamps the other's work; that is a complete misrepresentation of
    the actual relationship.
     > And In fact I doubt that LDML will be used in applications for
    something else than the management of the common CLDR database itself.
    Also incorrect: just yahoo
      Windows LDML
    (Although in this case, I have no object to the phrasing of the
    statement, since it is expressing personal doubt as to the acceptance,
    not making pronouncements about the status of standards or organizations.)
    If each and every every one of such statements were corrected, it would
    divert from actually productive efforts (notwithstanding my admiration
    for Ken's and other's diligence in doing that).
    Mark