Re: Hebrew script in IDN

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@icu-project.org)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 10:57:55 CST

    For stability of normalization, there is an absolute ban on normalizing
    any existing sequence to a new precomposed character (NFC).

    http://www.unicode.org/standard/stability_policy.html

    Thus since any new precomposed characters are normalized away there is
    little point to introducing them, and the committee has a policy to not
    encode them.

    Note: there is one possible exception. If a precomposed character and at
    least one character of its decomposition were both encoded in a new
    version of Unicode, it would be possible to normalize to the precomposed
    character in that new version. That would be a case like:

    X ~ Y + Z

    where X and either Y or Z are new. I don't think we've ever done that,
    since introducing NFC. It's unlikely that that situation would come up
    with an existing script, but might possibly come up with a new script.

    I don't recall exactly why the yiddish characters are treated in that
    fashion; it was some years ago. Perhaps Ken or someone else recalls.

    See also the http://www.unicode.org/faq/ on characters and combining
    marks, and on normalization.

    Mark