Re: Hebrew script in IDN

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 17:20:49 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 14:21 -0800 2005-11-22, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >
    >> As Mark Davis tried to make clear the first time around,
    >> decompositions can*NOT* be introduced for these characters
    >> now -- neither canonical nor compatibility decompositions.
    >> That is a stability guarantee that the UTC is not going to

    > That means, what are Yiddish speakers supposed to use?

    Well, what they *should* use are single letters, not the "ligature"
    letters. Yod+yod, vav+yod, vav+vav, etc. Yod-yod-patach is a bit of a
    stumper, though.

    Since we can't decompose them, the question is really how do we *stop*
    Yiddish speakers from using the ligature characters. Not putting them in
    the IDN set would be a start, I guess.

    ~mark