Re: ISO 15924: Different Arabic scripts?

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 16:36:09 CST

    It would seem this works well, but shouldn't really be necessary. There
    are other standards at hand for defining which typeface a page should
    show in. Maybe it would be nice if font information were sufficiently
    rich that a stylesheet can specify "Nastaleeq" or something and the
    browser would be able to find one that satisfies.

    This isn't to say that Hans vs Hant is not a distinction worth making.
    This and the Roman/Fraktur distinction is there because librarians and
    bibliographers have been using it for a while. There are going to be
    arguments and debates over what counts as a font-choice and what counts
    as a separate script--as we're seeing now. But there *are* some cases
    that are just font-choices.

    ~mark