Re: Representing Unix filenames in Unicode

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 11:49:53 CST

    On 27 Nov 2005, at 21:44, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > Why doesn't the Unix boot block that describes the nature and
    > content of the filesystem has no place to encode the encoding it uses?

    I am speaking about a much lower level, where the files are just
    stored on the disk. Typically, they are stored flatly and fragmented
    in ways that are thought to be efficient with a complicated directory
    system serving the emulation of a high level filesystem. Any higher
    level function would need to have some information about what kind of
    filesystem it is, of course. But I am not an expert on this stuff.

       Hans Aberg