Re: Representing Unix filenames in Unicode

From: Chris Jacobs (chris.jacobs@xs4all.nl)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 18:04:06 CST

    Antoine Leca wrote:
    > On Tuesday, November 29th, 2005 07:03Z, Chris Jacobs wrote:
    >>
    >> What happens when two files have different, but canonical equivalent,
    >> file names?
    >
    > The operating system sees two different files (without any
    > relationship one with the other), and you (the user, the "human") see
    > two files with apparently the same handle to grasp them (the same
    > name).

    I tend to side with the operating system here, and blame the interface.

    > My idea is that you are going to loose, so probably thou shalt not do
    > that.

    define 'that' ?

    The interface should not suppose the filenames are in unicode just because
    they look like unicode,
    the interface should be aware it are just byte strings?

    or

    The human should not do things the interface does not expect?

    Chris