Re: "The Languages of China" by Ramsey

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 12:30:28 CST

    Eric Muller wrote:

    > I am in the middle of reading "The languages of China", by S. Robert
    > Ramsey (ISBN 0-691-01468-X). Two questions:
    >
    > - is it good? (I like it very much, but I can't judge if it is good)
    > - have things changed since it was written (1987)?

    Another interesting book (available for free on the Internet):

    The Xinjiang Conflict: Uyghur Identity, Language Policy and Political
    Discourse, Arienne M. Dwyer, East-West Center, Washington, 2005.
    <http://www.eastwestcenter.org/stored/pdfs/PS015.pdf>

    While it is limited to the case of Uyghur, it is a very recent book, and
    it covers rather extensively the changes in policy in the past 50 years
    or so (including after 9/11). I cannot judge if the information is
    correct, though.

    Eric.