Re: UnicodeData.txt problem

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 06:52:26 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote:

    > Bottom line: Any programmer who can write a program to interpret the
    > existing UnicodeData.txt can also write a program to massage that file
    > into a format more to their liking. Once you do that, YOU have control
    > over the format, and can add to it or modify it to suit your own work. I
    > suggest this approach, as opposed to trying to get UTC to change a file
    > format that they obviously don't want to change.

    The complaint wasn't about the format; it was about the content, i.e. the
    lack of any version marking. The only of doing that would be a hack like
    abusing a Unicode_1_Name. However, that could break an application that
    knows how many characters there were in Unicode 1.0, as could supplying a
    spurious Unicode_1_Name for a character outside the BMP. (My first though
    for such a hack was to put copyright information in the Unicode_1_Name for
    U+10FFFD or U+10000.)

    On the issue of distinguishing versions - I think a line count will suffice
    to identify the version of Unicode for a long time to come. However, it may
    not help with corrections within a version.

    Richard.