Re: Musical symbols

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jan 07 2006 - 21:15:06 CST

    On 1/7/2006 2:54 PM, Pupeno wrote:

    >On Saturday 07 January 2006 17:38, Rick McGowan wrote:
    >

    >>Using pretty much just Unicode characters, perhaps spread among
    >>several fonts, and the usual drawing tools & layout smarts that
    >>special-purpose music software already has, one should be able to produce
    >>musical scores. I don't see a problem, if the right symbols are in Unicode.

    I support this approach, which gives to Unicode the role of uniquely
    identifying the semantics of a symbol,
    even though its rendition may be different between citations in text and
    score.

    I was astonished to find recently that almost my entire collection of my
    sheet music contains symbols that
    are not in Unicode, and are neither obvious unifications, nor do they
    seem of a patently different nature than
    other symbols that are encoded in Unicode.

    In no case have I found annotations or a list of symbols used, which
    makes me think that at least the
    authors (or typesetters) believed that they were using a part of the
    'standard' musical notation, which
    needed no explanation.

    With that experience in mind, I would throw my support behind any
    well-researched proposal that seeks
    to identify such 'missing' symbols and suggests what characters are
    necessary to close the remaining gaps.

    A./