Re: External Link arrow

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 16:56:37 CST

    On 1/9/2006 8:54 AM, Markus Scherer wrote:

    >What would a character achieve here that a tiny graphic (with alt text
    >like "external") can't?

    Just to mention,

    1) you would be able to cut/paste this information more reliably
    2) you would be able to search for it
    3) you would be able to scale the symbol with the text

    >Its look and feel would still depend on the (font) designer,

    the salient argument in favor of such symbols is not their uniforimity
    in appearance, but their
    semantics. Just because HTML easily accommodates inline graphics does
    not mean that
    new notational conventions must only be realized in that way.

    After all, TeX gives great freedom in cobbling up specialized symbols,
    but we keep adding
    math symbols (and phonetic symbols) to the standard, because they are no
    less characters
    than what's already encoded.

    This does not try to make a complete case, just to answer your specific
    objections.

    A./