Re: Upper case U+0364 for U+0308

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 06:45:36 CST

    Am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2006 um 09:59 schrieb Kent Karlsson:

    KK> An "e" (or "E", that would be, just barely, within allowable variability)
    KK> above (or slightly "inside") a letter be encoded as U+0364,
    KK> COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER E, NOT as U+0308.
    KK> U+0308, COMBINING DIAERESIS, should always be imaged as
    KK> "two-dots-above-like".

    It depends on culture and context.
    In German decorative texts (e.g. which have connotations like "old"
    or "medieval"), the "e above" is definitely a font variant of the
    umlaut.
    In scientific German text (e.g. medievalist literature) this is not true.
    In Swedish decorative text this also is not true, I presume.

    Likewise, a letter resembling U+0190 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER OPEN E
    is a font variant of U+0045 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E when occurring
    in German decorative text. Encoding it U+0190 in this context
    is clearly an error.

    KK> The same goes for long s: it should always be encoded as 017F, LATIN
    KK> SMALL LETTER LONG S, NOT as 0073, LATIN SMALL LETTER S. The latter
    KK> should always be imaged as "round-s-like", regardless of font.

    Also, it depends on culture and context.
    In decorative English text, where you can substitute every small s
    by a long s, the long s may be viewed as a font variant.
    This is not possible for German, where there are rules which require
    round s e.g. as syllabe finals even when the font uses the long s.

    Karl