Ellipsis

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 16:06:46 CST

    I got into a discussion about this, and I'm really not sure what the
    "Official" position is.

    Is the HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS character, U+2026, to be preferred over using
    three periods (possibly spaced with non-breaking spaces)? Or is it only
    there for backward compatibility?

    Obviously, "what is preferable" depends on what the situation is, but
    even so there can be a sensible answer, e.g. "f + i" (or "f + ZWJ + i")
    is preferable to U+FB01, LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FI, right? Is HORIZONTAL
    ELLIPSIS of this class?

    Inquiring minds want to know.

    ~mark