Re: Unicode native scripting language?

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 07:06:08 CST

    Python will let you do this. You can declare the encoding of the
    source file and from there use, for example, UTF-8 as your native
    encoding. It does not let you declare identifiers outside the US ASCII
    range, though.

    For example (sorry, I'm on a text mailer right now that doesn't let me
    put Unicode into the message),

    # -*- coding: utf-8
    myString = u"<some UTF-8>"

    defines myString to be be a Unicode string constructed from the UTF-8
    sequence in quotes.

    If you just wanted the UTF-8 bytes,

    myUTF8String = "<some UTF-8"

    There are several Common LISP implementations that offer full Unicode
    support, including support for Unicode-encoded function names.

        -tree

    Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com
     "You can't fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal." (W.S.B.)