Re: Ellipsis

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 03:04:48 CST

    At 09:30 +0200 2006-01-20, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >Thus, far from making the horizontal character unusable, this raises
    >the question whether the four-dots ellipsis should be coded, too.

    No. The first of the four dots is the full stop which ends the
    sentence, and the other three are the ellipsis proper.

    >At present, if you follow the three-or-four-dots methods, you would
    >apparently need to use a horizontal ellipsis character followed by a
    >full stop character (in plain text, that is - in styled text, you
    >could use four full stop characters with spacing instructions,
    >though this probably gets awkward).

    No, vice-versa.

    >Or maybe in the opposite order, though then the odds of getting poor
    >typographic result are higher.

    Not at all. That is entirely font dependent.

    >The point here is not whether the four-dots ellipsis is good style
    >or not. What should matter in this context is whether it is actually
    >used as a consistent method, and I have no reason to doubt the
    >Manual in this respect.

    The Chicago Manual of "Style" is a horrid, horrid thing, responsible
    for much evil in the world of typography, however inoffensive it may
    be with regard to the ellipsis.... ;-)