Re: Ellipsis

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 09:06:12 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote:
    > I've always been under the same impression as Jukka and Elliotte, that
    > the "four-dot ellipsis" is technically a three-dot ellipsis followed by
    > a full stop, and not the other way around.

    I've always thought it was so in the case of the elided text ending at
    the a sentence and a period followed by a three-dot ellipsis in the case
    of text beginning after a sentence being elided.

    In other words, there is no such thing as a four-dot ellipsis, there are
    just sentences, ending in periods as usual, with three-dot ellipses
    replacing elided sections.