Re: what exactly is UnicodeData.txt?

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 03:37:10 CST

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Kit Peters wrote:

    > I am interested in the characters whose properties are
    > defined in UnicodeData.txt.

    But do you really mean that? That is, do you mean Unicode characters
    except Han characters and Hangul syllables? Why would this be a
    relevant subset? If it is, I don't think there is any shorter expression
    you could use.

    Besides, the formulation is vague. UnicodeData.txt defines _some_
    properties of characters, to a varying degree, but it does not
    define all the properties. It can even be argued that the file defines
    properties for Han characters and Hangul syllables, though in a notation
    different than the rest.