Re: Translate: symbol names (shortics!!!, voiceless and near voiceless)

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 09:40:26 CST

    Srivas wrote:
    > For example, it is said that the word PRint has a near voice-less "i" in
    > between P and R as in PiRint. Similarly BRook = BuRook with a near
    > voiceless "u". I can site many examples.

    Tolkaappiyam and other Tamil grammars define 30 letters (12 vowels, 18
    consonants) plus three 'caarbezuttu'. We've one code chart (aaytham),
    the other 2 remaining are kuRRiyal i and u respectively.

    If <0b87> is called 'short i' and <0b88> is called 'long i'
    then i've seen linguists calling kuRRiyal ikaram as 'overshort' i.
    Similarly, If <0b89> is called 'short u' and <0b8A> is called 'long u'
    kuRRiyal ukaram as 'overshort u'.

    Since Unicode names are TAMIL VOWEL SIGN I, II, U and UU,
    we can just use
    TAMIL VOWEL SIGN SHORT I, TAMIL VOWEL SIGN SHORT U,
    (cf. devanagari vowel sign VOCALIC R, etc.,)

    N. Ganesan