Re: Default rendering of Combining diacritical marks

From: Denis Jacquerye (moyogo@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 01:06:12 CST

    On 3/10/06, Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    > > Behalf Of Antoine Leca
    >

    > > Any chance to be able to backport those fonts (at least, the ones which
    > > already exist in XP) into existing XPspN boxes, perhaps for some small fee,
    > > or either protected with GenuineCheck or something similar?
    > > Of course those fonts being part of xpSP3/2003sp2 would be optimum, but I
    > > guess it's dreaming.
    >
    > For certain reasons to do with back-compat, it's unlikely that we would back-port new
    > versions of core fonts as part of a general-distro release such as a service pack -- this will
    > cause serious issues especially for enterprise customers. There might be a possibility
    > that individual users will be able to license the updated fonts through Ascender
    > (www.ascenderfonts.com), though I'm not positive about that.

    As an alternative, there are a few quality free fonts with good
    combining diacritics support. Doulos SIL and Charis SIL are probably
    the best. DejaVu fonts, Junicode and Freefonts should probably cover
    your needs too. I don't know it they are good enough for high quality
    prints but they are good for screen display.

    Denis Moyogo Jacquerye