Re: Need help in interpreting symbol 225e (measured by)

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 09:24:09 CST

    On 14 Mar 2006, at 14:21, Keutgen, Walter wrote:

    > STIX quotes 'measeq' as SGML name of U+225e (http://www.ams.org/
    > STIX/stixfullr/stixfull-0c.html) and as AMS/TeX name (http://
    > www.ams.org/STIX/bnb/stix-tbl.asc-99jul03) of it. Excuse me for
    > the fuzzy term 'programming language'.

    I passed over those pages, but it just means that they appear as
    names in some TeX macro package, but does not as such give any
    indications of their mathematical usage. I think that the STIX
    committee just made sure that those glyphs appeared in Unicode as
    well, based on the principle that characters that somehow has
    appeared in print should be added.

    > Perhaps the CJK radical composition operators give an example how
    > to generate such composites. Perhaps the Unicode consortium could
    > think about extending their usage.

    Any natural language combining character scheme will be far too crude
    for actual general use in mathematics. I expect the situation to be
    the other situation around: once pinned down in math, it can be
    extended to a more comprehensive and efficient scheme for use in
    natural languages.

    This is also the reason I have not bothered much about adding such a
    scheme to Unicode specifically, as there is too much development
    needed to be done.

       Hans Aberg