RE: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 14:59:55 CST

    > From: Philippe Verdy [mailto:verdy_p@wanadoo.fr]

    > Here are some screenshots for Bengali, Oriya and Telugu...

    The text in your screenshots looks to me like it might be Arial Unicode MS. As I explained earlier, this font does not provide shaping support for all scripts. That is a font issue, not an issue with IE.

    > We definitely don't have the same Windows or Microsoft does not have
    > distribute equivalent versions in its localizations...

    Windows XP ships with the same complex-script rendering support everywhere.

    > Regarding the case of core Windows fonts which were shipped with only
    > national digits for some Indic scripts, this was effectively the case
    > until I installed Office or third party fonts.

    AFAIK, the Windows core fonts (Microsoft Sans Serif, Tahoma, Arial, Times New Roman, Courier New) have never included digits for any Indic scripts.

    Peter Constable