Re: New symbol for Russian rouble?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 01:28:00 CST

    Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> WROTE:

    >> This article (in Russian) from mid-February says there was a
    >> competition in 1998 but it went nowhere. Duma Deputy Pavel
    >> Krasheninnikov has introduced legislation to create a new symbol but
    >> the Central Bank calls his initiative pointless so I suspect it's
    >> not something to worry about anytime soon.
    >
    > And they're all dreadful too. ;-)

    They are, but that won't matter. Many people felt that the euro sign
    was dreadful at the time of its unveiling, especially coupled with the
    announcement that thing would be treated like a logo and Could Not Be
    Changedâ„¢ to match surrounding type styles or other aesthetic
    considerations. When it became clear that font designers were going to
    do the right thing anyway, many of these concerns went away. The same
    chain of events will probably occur if an official ruble sign is
    created.

    Considering that U+20B4 HRYVNIA SIGN is being encoded in Unicode 5.0, it
    seems likely that any new ruble sign officially approved by the Russian
    government will have to be either (a) accepted or (b) rejected with very
    strong, clear, defensible reasons.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA