Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 10:52:12 CST

    On 21/03/06, Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Please read my explanation carefully. Unscribe plays a role in the symptoms displayed by Charmap, to be sure. Charmap could have been written to avoid Uniscribe's font fallback, and arguably should have been, which is why I referred to it as a Charmap issue.

    OK, so the fact that exactly the same behaviour (i.e. with Arial
    Unicode MS selected only Oriya digits are displayed) is seen in
    Notepad with Uniscribe version 1.409.2600.1106 and later (but not with
    Uniscribe version 1.405.2416.1 or earlier) is a bug in Notepad ?! What
    you seem to be saying is that every single MS product that relies on
    Uniscribe for complex script rendering should have special code
    written in to overcome the deficiencies of certain versions of
    Uniscribe, even when the deficiencies did not exist when the code was
    written. Wow!

    Andrew