RE: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 14:51:06 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    > Behalf Of Richard Wordingham

    > >> Please read my explanation carefully. Unscribe plays a role in the
    > >> symptoms displayed by Charmap, to be sure. Charmap could have been
    > >> written to avoid Uniscribe's font fallback, and arguably should have
    > >> been, which is why I referred to it as a Charmap issue.
    >
    > > OK, so the fact that exactly the same behaviour (i.e. with Arial
    > > Unicode MS selected only Oriya digits are displayed) is seen in
    > > Notepad with Uniscribe version 1.409.2600.1106 and later (but not with
    > > Uniscribe version 1.405.2416.1 or earlier) is a bug in Notepad ?!
    >
    > I think the presumption is that Notepad is intended to display words
    > (possibly even sentences). On this basis, I think Peter is implying that
    > the error is in the *user* for choosing a font without OTL for a script
    > that needs OTL.

    I didn't suggest anything of the sort. I don't expect users to need to know that Windows will work with one font but not another. Windows ships with only fonts that work.

    Again, Character Map displays individual characters from a font, determining the set of characters by the font's cmap table. It has different requirements than Notepad, which is most certainly intended to display words and, yes, even sentences.

    Peter Constable