RE: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 18:55:26 CST

    Peter Constable wrote,

    > That's not at all what I said or implied. Since Character Map displays all the
    > characters in the cmap table of the selected font, it makes sense that it would
    > actually display the glyphs from that font.

    It would make sense if that were the case. However, Character
    Map does not display all the glyphs referenced in the cmap of
    the selected font. I've added N'ko to Code2000, for instance,
    and Character Map fails to display that range. Further, when
    Code2000 is the selected font, Character Map substitutes a
    different font for Syriac.

    Character Map doesn't display Khmer symbols starting at U+19E0.
    Likewise, it doesn't display Limbu or Buginese. Character Map
    also doesn't seem to have any appreciation of Plane One or
    Plane Two characters. The above list isn't exhaustive.

    Fortunately, there's BabelMap...

    Best regards,

    James Kass