Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 19:15:42 CST

    Richard Wordingham wrote,

    > Does this mean that unsupported scripts that might benefit from OpenType
    > Layout should have (unusable - untestable?) OTL tables in a font if the font
    > is to be usable? Might this explain why all the Lao-centred fonts I have
    > are reluctant to render Lao? Code2000 is one of the very few fonts to
    > render Lao in Notepad. Does Lao genuinely need OTL? I can see how it can
    > benefit from it, but that is not the same statement.

    Dr. John M. Durdin has shown that Lao does not genuinely need OTL
    in order to display legibly. If the combining marks which sometimes
    can stack higher over other combining marks are in the font at the
    higher positions as default, then the rendering is reasonable.

    Try the Saysettha font, for example, on various platforms:

    http://www.laoscript.net/downloads/

    Best regards,

    James Kass