RE: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 16:05:14 CST

    Peter Constable wrote,

    > My comment was not directed at Saysettha OT -- quite the contrary. It was in
    > response to James' remark about displaying Lao without any OpenType Layout.
    > Since Saysettha OT is an OpenType font, it clearly isn't an instance of what I
    > was referring to. I assumed that it was obvious I wasn't talking about OpenType
    > fonts, and so it seemed to me your response also could not have been talking
    > about OpenType.
    >
    > I guess we can blame James, who juxtaposed Saysettha OT with a discussion of
    > non-OpenType Lao. :-)

    Blame James almost rhymes.

    It's my understanding that the display of Saysettha, which does
    include OpenType tables, will be as expected wherever OpenType
    Lao is supported. But, the important factor is that the font was
    designed also to display legibly in the event that OpenType Lao
    is *not* supported. So, text displayed with this font will look
    a bit different, depending on the platform/application.

    So, Saysettha *is* an instance of that to which you referred, as
    long as you test it without OT support.

    Best regards,

    James Kass