RE: OT and combining diacritics (was Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 00:19:11 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On

    > Behalf Of Andrew Cunningham

    > Actually, there are a small number of OT fonts that support combining

    > diacritic combinations very well, assuming your application is using

    > an appropriate version of Uniscribe. We work with OT fonts everyday

    > with African languages requiring use of combining diacritics and

    > diacritic stacking.

    Windows users that need support for combining diacritics will be please to find that all of the core fonts in Vista (Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma, Microsoft Sans Serif, Segoe UI) have been updated to support arbitrary base-mark combinations and diacritic stacking for Latin script, with full Unicode 4.1 coverage.

    E.g. this screen shot of Segoe UI:

    Peter Constable

    image002.jpg