RE: How to encode abbreviations [Was: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs]

From: Keutgen, Walter (walter.keutgen@be.unisys.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 07:34:59 CST

    Philippe,

    your remark is similar to Antoine Leca's of 2006.03.28 10:12 GMT

    >One of my prefered is the French use of ° to mark
    >the abbreviation of a final o (as in 1º, 2º), and the Spanish use of º to
    >mark degree; both characters are in T.61 and derivates, including 8859-1; of
    >course, it's the presence of the characters in the keyboard layouts which is
    >the root; counter example, or examples of the reverse, are ASCII - and ',
    >whose covers several meanings.

    For purists a superscript 'o' should be used. But people do what they can with the means they have e.g. they use the ° degree sign. But again there is no 'user guide' with my keyboard that tells wether ° is degree or superscript o.

    Does anyone know the 'etymology' of the degree sign?

    About the usage of 1°, 2°, in French I believe they CAN be found for paragraph numbering, the most frequent usage being 1) 2) or a) b). Would you disagree? Here one might distinguish times before the ubiquitous PC and after. In hand writing the ')' is more 'robust' than '.' or '°'.

    Best regards

    Walter