RE: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 02:33:38 CST

    Vinod Kumar wrote:

    > But if the font does not have the half Nga or conjunct glyphs
    > as is normal,
    > then the correct rendering is <gNga gHalant gMatraI gKa>.

    It's a bad idea to make positioning font dependent. It's like saying
    that bidi reordering should be font dependent.

    > I am sick and tired of people glibly claiming that
    > <gMatraI GNga gHalant gKa> is valid display for the
    > character sequence.

    There is a vast difference between spelling and fallback rendering.
    A great many fallbacks that are quite unacceptable from a spelling
    point of view have been used for Latin letters (and have even been
    standardised).

    > <cons1 halant ZWNJ cons2>. The 'something' that Kent refers to has its
    > incarnations in Uniscribe that stands between the font and

    I'm saying that

    1) it should be *before* Uniscribe (in that particular system), and

    2) i think there is more than one computer system that may
    display Indic scripts...

                    /kent k